Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hear from our Youth Advisory Board members....

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lead to Succeed recently established a Youth Advisory Board composed of high school students of all ages and from a variety of our sites. The board meets regularly to discuss grant opportunities, potential projects, and the future of Lead to Succeed! The members were selected by staff as some of the most ambitious and dedicated students who exemplify what it means to be a leader and exceptional student. Here's what they have to say about serving on the board:
  
"Working with the Youth Advisory Board was an exciting experience. It was a great opportunity for our group to generate and discuss our thoughts and ideas on what we think students in the Lead to Succeed program should be focusing on next year. Being in the Lead to Succeed program has kept me focused on my academics and has pushed me to do more work than usual, while at the same time being a fun and exciting experience. It has also made me think more about my future and what I should be doing to prepare for it. Things like coming up with goals for myself, focusing on what things I need to be successful, and the amount of effort I need to put in to get where I want to be in life have all been my priorities this year. The Youth Advisory Board was a tremendous experience and I hope to do it again next year.” -- Joshua T., Professional Learning Institute
“I really enjoyed being a part of the Lead to Succeed social entrepreneurship project this year, and also the Youth Advisory Board. I had a lot of fun and I learned so much. For my Lead to Succeed project we had to work as a team to create a business around a water issue. For me, the best part of working on this project was meeting different people and working in groups. A portion of the Lead to Succeed project is meeting new people in different environments and working together. By doing so, Lead to Succeed is helping prepare youth for their very near future. In order to be successful you need to have a job and all jobs require that you to meet new people and have excellent communication skills. Teamwork is also an important skill to develop in order to be successful. With what I have learned and experienced all I want to do is help. I believe that everyone else would too if they were educated about the problem. Lead to Succeed is slowly creating a better youth. With the right funding they can spread the word and help youth all over the Greater Milwaukee area. I believe that Lead to Succeed is an incredible experience that all youth should be a part of.” -- Tamera W., Professional Learning Institute

No comments:

Post a Comment